Bipolar disorder (a.k.a. manic-depressive illness) is a disorder of the brain that results in unusual mood shifts. It can affect your energy and activity levels. Depending on its severity, it may also affect your ability to carry out daily tasks. These shifts are very different from those that a healthy person undergoes occasionally. The good news here is that manic-depressive illness is treatable, so even if you’re diagnosed with it, you can still lead a fulfilling and productive life.
Some of the signs that you may be dealing with bipolar disorder and not the typical ups and downs of life include:
- Extreme irritability, which may result in explosive anger
- Unpredictable mood swings
- Changes in energy, activity, and sleep
- Inability to complete tasks
- Unusually intense emotional states where “manic” (overly joyful) episodes are followed by “depressive” (extreme state of hopelessness or sadness) episodes – sometimes both occur at the same time in what’s known as a “mixed state.”
- Irritability, especially during a mood episode
- Changes in mood also result in changes in behavior.
Due to the nature of these symptoms, it isn’t easy to spot this illness initially. This is why some people may suffer from it for years before being properly diagnosed and treated. However, once it’s diagnosed, it’s a long-term illness that you’ll need to carefully manage throughout the rest of your life.
If you or someone you love is suffering from bipolar disorder in Clearwater, FL, we want you to know that we’re here for you at Mental Health Treatment Tampa Bay. We understand that this disorder can be both disruptive and painful for you, but you should know that treatment is possible. Medication (e.g., mood stabilizers) and support are available to help you mitigate your symptoms, so give us a call today to get started down the road to recovery.